The Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association (NIIRTA) has published a radical report aimed at helping Northern Irelands struggling retail sector.
The Town Centre First report contains 50 solutions to some of the problems towns are facing.
The report is said to address the large amount of retail units and businesses closing down within city centres across the North.
Some of the proposals NIIRTA include:
- A five-year moratorium on any further out-of-town superstore developments.
- The creation of a Department for the Economy.
- Reduce VAT to 5%.
- Northern Ireland should be marketed as a weekend shopping destination.
- Create more ‘Virtual Window’ schemes to paint and tidy up derelict shops.
- An emergency 100% first year rates relief for town centres with a 40%+ shop vacancy rate.
- Introduce car parking charges in out-of-town superstore car parks.
- Privatisation of Translink.
- Introduce a ‘timed disc’ system for delivery and service vehicles.
Read the full story on the Belfast Telegraph